409 WING PARK STREET
409 Wing Park Boulevard was built in 1925 for Harry J. and Jean A. (nee Crawford) Hanchett. Harry was born in 1884 to James H. and Clara A. (nee Leonard) Hanchett. He had several siblings including Lewis, Walter, Beulah and Leonard. All of which resided in Elgin along with his paternal grandparents, Simean and Charlotte Hanchett.
Jean was born in 1888 in Kansas with her parents, Charles A. and Elizabeth H. Crawford being from West Virginia (father) and Pennsylvania (mother). Interestingly, Harry and Jean resided with her parents in Kootenai County, Idaho prior to moving to Elgin in the 20s. They had one son when they were out west who was Warren C., born in 1919.
Jean passed away in 1962 and is buried at Bluff City Cemetery. Harry held onto the house for three more years before selling it to Harold Henrikson in 1965. Harry would pass away two years later and is buried alongside his wife. Harold remained in the home until 1982 exchanging the property to the third owners.
409 Wing Park Boulevard holds special significance to Elgin as it is a Sears, Roebuck and Company kit home. Named, "The Kilbourne," the home was an already cut and fitted home at a cost of $2,423. At the time it was built, it boasted that it was a five to eight rooms plus bath home with a roomy porch.
This home also exhibits some great craftsman style features including the brackets found at the large overhanging front roof gable and gabled dormer, the exposed brick chimney, as well as the use of clapboard shingled siding.
The attached garage was an alteration to the home adding additional space to the second floor.
Sources: 1987 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud