392 E. CHICAGO STREET
Around 1848, the one-story portion of 392 E. Chicago Street was built by Jonathan Force, a mechanic-carpenter-gardener. In 1866, the house was purchased by Charles L. and Dorothea (Andorff) Kohn. Charles was a proprietor of a local meat market. In 1880, Kohn had the house remodeled, adding the two-story section which gives the home its Italianate architectural features. The house has remained virtually unaltered since that time.
Charles' daughter, Bertha, married Dr. Albert L. Mann in 1887 and continued to live at 392 E. Chicago Street after her father passed away in 1897. Dr. Mann was a pioneer in the field of public health and had two children, Alban and Marguerite. Dr. Mann received his education from Elgin Schools until he turned 17. At that time, he was employed by drug store Kelley & Hart to get him acquainted with medicine. He then went to the Bennett Medical College of Chicago for 5 years until he graduated in 1883. The Manns continued to live at 392 E. Chicago Street until Bertha's death in 1954.
392 E. Chicago Street is of the Italianate style. Apparent features of this style include the eave brackets, arched windows, and brackets found at the bay. Unusual details are the dentils which line the porch eaves, the carved acorns that top the porch columns and the original, operable shutters.
Sources: Gifford Park Association; Audio: TextAloud