358 ELM STREET
358 Elm Street was built in 1910 for Julia Somers, widow of Lawrence Somers who was a bookbinder. Julia never occupied the house herself, instead using it as a source of income while she resided at 648 Raymond Street. In February of 1919, Albert G. Wenzel, a carpenter in the mills works in Elgin, and his wife, Pauline, a homemaker, purchased the home. After 36 years, the Wenzel family sold the house to Harvey and Violet Dewis in February of 1955. By March 1960, the Dewis' sold 358 Elm Street to Milan and Elizabeth Obradowic who subsequently sold it to Donald and Barbara Smithberg in 1971.
358 Elm Street was designed as a Bungalow. Some characteristics of this style that can be seen on this home is its one to one-and-a-half stories, a low-pitched roof and wide overhanging eaves.
Sources: 2009 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud