352 NORTH STREET
In 1855 B. W. Raymond, well-known Elgin magnate who worked on bringing to town the railroad lines and watch factory, sold off a number of lots along North Street near College Street. This area, later to be known as “B. W. Raymond’s Addition,” and lots 7 and 8 were purchased by David F. Barclay, Sr. and in the 1880s and on, a number of his children began building homes on the properties.
Barclay Sr. was a particularly notable figure in Elgin’s history, serving four terms as mayor, at one time as an alderman, the president of the Illinois Northern Hospital for the Insane, and sat on the Elgin Board of Water Commissioners as well as at one time owning a hardware store on 17 Chicago Street.
David F. Barclay Jr. was born in Elgin in 1868 and was also active in the community but on a more social scale, serving the Knights Templar for many years, and working as a photo engraver in town.
Barclay Jr., like his siblings, built a home upon the piece of land purchased by their father, in this case, at 352 North Street in 1910.
In 1946, Barclay Jr. began the legal transaction to get ownership over the home at 352 North so in the event of his passing, he would be able to will it to his wife, Carolyn.
In 1957, the conservator of Carolyn’s estate sold the home to A. C. Dunning who then sold the home one year later to Walter and Ilona Hansen. The home remained in Hansen ownership until 1987.
352 North Street is an example of the American Foursquare form with Prairie style elements. Many of the home’s features are examples of the Prairie style, with its simple box shape; palladian dormer; symmetry; height of two and a half stories; a full-width front porch; and low pitch hipped roof. The house is listed in the Elgin Historic District Neighborhood Historic Resources Survey as “contributing” to the historic significance of the area.
Sources: 1999 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud