339 PERRY STREET
Built in 1910, 339 Perry Street has a long history with the Englebrecht family. Frederick and Sophia resided in the home together until Sophia's passing in 1922. Frederick himself was deeply intertwined with the Elgin community, working with the Todson Creamery CO., wholesalers and retailers until his retirement in 1934 and was an active member of the Masons at Monitor Lodge 522 for 65 years. Living alone in 339 Perry for 26 years after his wife passed, Frederick's children took over ownership duties after his own passing in 1948.
Frederick and Sophia's children were also noteworthy in their own way, with Dr. Mildred A. Engelbrecht teaching at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa for 30 years until 1968, serving as the head of the Bacteriology and Medical Technology Department. Passing away at 73 in 1973, she had returned to Elgin a few years before her death.
339 Perry Street is an example of the American Foursquare style. Architectural characteristics of this style seen here include its symmetrical, simple box shape standing at two and a half stories tall. The low hipped roof and overhanging eaves are also indicative of the American Foursquare along with the off-center front entryway, full front porch with bracketed supports and double hung sash windows.
The Englebrecht house has been deemed particularly important, rated outstanding on the Illinois Historic Structures Survey in 2002.
Sources: 2009 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud