335 LOCUST STREET
A school has been located on this site since 1855. It was burned down and rebuilt three times, the last in 1906, at which time it was re-named the George P. Lord School, in honor of the philanthropist, and designed by Elgin architect, W.W. Abell. The Lord School closed in 1939. In 1941 it was sold to the three Elgin Catholic parishes and re-named St. Edward High School, which opened in the fall of 1941. In 1950-51 St. Ed's built a gymnasium addition, which is now the oldest building on campus. The former Lord School, which became St. Ed's core building, was razed in 1967. St. Ed's has also had additions in 1963, 1970 and 2002.
Sources: Near West Neighbors Association; Audio: TextAloud