333 BILLINGS STREET
333 Billings Street was built in 1929 for Palmer and Bertha Edwardson for $7,000. Palmer was a native of Oslo, Norway and immigrated to the United States at the age of 20 in 1909. Four years later, he settled in Elgin and began work at the Elgin National Watch Company in its Machine Department. He retired from the company in 1953.
333 Billings Street is an excellent example of the Craftsman Style Bungalow. It is a one-and-a-half story brick house with knee walls leading up to a recessed front entry porch. The home has several distinctive characteristics including its front and side gabled, jerkinhead roofs (clipped peak); its tudor arch frieze at the porch; its turned eaves and multi-pane-over-one, double-hung windows.
Sources: 2009 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud