325 N. LIBERTY STREET
325 N. Liberty Street was built in 1910 by Frank Knabusch for him and his wife, Marie. Frank worked at the Illinois Watch Case Company on Dundee Avenue and in 1919, sold the house to Ralph and Mabel Fowler for $4500. The Knabusch's moved to Los Angeles, California where they remained until Frank died in 1959 just one day after his 74th birthday; Marie had died the previous January.
After buying 325 N. Liberty from the Knabusch's for $4500, Ralph and Mabel Fowler lived in the home for 49 years until Ralph passed away in 1968. He spent nearly 40 years working for the Elgin Watch Factory, retiring with pension form the Train department in 1953. He was not the only Fowler to work at the Elgin Watch Factory, however, with both Mabel and Ralph's daughter Dorothy finding employment with the company as well.
325 N. Liberty Street is an example of the Craftsman Style Bungalow, having street facing gables, earth tone colors, wide overhanging eaves, a large front porch, and a front door opening into the living room.
Sources: Gifford Park Association; Audio: TextAloud