320 WASHBURN STREET
Esther and her then-husband Elmer lived together at 452 Hendee Street in the early 1920s. After they divorced, Ester Corzine and Elizabeth Corzine, a widow, moved into 320 Washburn together. The Elgin Daily Courier-News reported in 1929 that a permit for 320 Washburn had been issued to Ms. Corzine to build a home at the cost of $8,000.
Ester Corzine sold 320 Washburn in 1939. In 1948, the home was bought by Clarence Salmon, who put up the garage seen today. Clarence kept the house until 1970, when it was sold to Duane Ohl, a teacher in the Science Department at Elgin High School. The house has since had a several owners.
The home is an excellent example of Tudor architecture, with its triple, double hung, window arrangement on the first floor; a tall, narrow window above in the roof peak; and front gable. The home is also clad in brick and the roofs are steeply pitched.
Sources: 2001 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud