318 PERRY STREET
318 Perry Street was built for George W. and Lena Van Patten in 1906. George was employed by the Elgin National Watch Company and worked as the watch factory's fire department force. The Pattens did not live in the home long before selling it to Marcus and Eva Simons in 1910. The Simons lived in the home for eight years before George and Kate Saunders bought the property in 1918.
318 Perry Street is an example of a Queen Anne Style American Foursquare. According to oral history, the false gambrel ornamental roof was damaged/destroyed in the Palm Sunday cyclone on March 28, 1920 and never restored.
Sources: 2009 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud