302 SOUTH STREET
The property at 302 South Street was sold to Charles G. Heine, who built the two story apartment building in 1905 for $8,000. Heine was born around 1866 in Illinois and married a Ms. Lydia Bolz in 1900. Lydia was born in Kane County in 1876. Five years later, they were listed as one of the four occupants of 302 South Street in the 1907-08 and 1909-10 city directories.
302 South Street is considered a significant structure in the Near West Neighborhood with high integrity. The building was built in the Eclectic, Italian Renaissance style that was popular between 1890 and 1935. Features of the Italian Renaissance style that can be found at 302 South Street include a low-pitched, hipped roof, wide overhanging eaves supported by decorative brackets, round arches above doors and porches and a symmetrical façade.
Details found associated with this style are loosely based from Italian origins. It is also noted that this style is less common than other styles being built at that time including the Craftsman, Tudor or Colonial Revival Styles.
One of 302 South Street’s most notable features is its use of concrete blocks. Concrete blocks were touted as being low-cost, maintenance free and insulating. Attractive textured surfaces were designed to mimic stones, as seen on this building, as well as 304 South Street.
Sources: Kane County Recorders Office; Audio: TextAloud