258 VINCENT PLACE
In May of 1893, a warranty deed for lot 6 in the McClure’s Linden Addition to Elgin was passed over from Finla McClure to John L. Welch. Only a few days later, a mortgage was given to Welch in the amount of $1,893 and by December the Courier was reporting of a new home built by L. F. Whipple for $1,800.
John's wife, Elizabeth, was born in 1854 in New York state and John was born in 1853 in Maine. According to the 1900 Census the two had been married at that time for 19 years, and residents of Elgin for 14.
The two were members at the Congregation Church. John, a worker at Todson’s silver plating on River Street, was a member of the United Workmen union and secretary of the polisher’s union.
258 Vincent is a Gabled Ell style with Queen Anne detailing. Built in 1893, it primarily consists of wood siding and shingled decoration in the gables. Typical of the style, it has an L-shaped floor plan with two stories and 1-over-1 single light, double hung windows. The pediment above the door is seen more often in styles like Neoclassical, Colonial Revival or Georgian and could have been added at a later date but still attest to the focus on decoration on the exterior of the home.
Sources: 1999 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud