258 N. LIBERTY STREET
258 N. Liberty Street was designed and constructed by Arthur and John Kenyon for Edward and Mary Moser. The Kenyon name has been long recognized in Elgin namely for dairy cattle. However, Arthur and John were well known as excellent builders in the area and their homes can be recognized by their trademark of a stone diamond placed high on the gable or chimney of every home that they constructed. Arthur also constructed his own home at 1003 Larkin Avenue.
Edward S. Moser was the owner and operator of the Cloudman Coal Company which supplied heating materials to most Elgin homes and businesses. His wife, Mary Jane, was an employee of the Elgin Watch Factory in the Plate Room. Edward was known for his lovely gardens and country club lawn that were the talk of the town throughout the 1930s and 40s.
258 N. Liberty is an excellent example of a Tudor Revival cottage which are prevalent throughout Elgin's east and west sides. All of the significant Tudor Revival houses in this area are relatively small for this style but are generally rich in stylistic detail.
258 N Liberty Street is a two story brick clad house with a steep, cross-gabled roof. A steeply roofed, front facing gable sections projects out from the front facade, flanked by a tall, simplistic chimney that is clad in the same color brick as the house. A recessed front entry can be found tucked behind the chimney.
Sources: 1996 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud