252 N. LIBERTY STREET
The land 252 N. Liberty Street sits upon changed hands a number of times before finally being purchased by Joseph Rehage in 1902, the same year built the structure with the help of Elgin builder Henry Brammer. Rehage was a prominent and long-time grocer in the City of Elgin. Part of the German immigration movement to the United States in the late 1800s, Rehage was born in Germany in 1871 and immigrated direct to Elgin in 1888. He originally was a partner in the grocery business of Meirhoff & Rehage before opening his own grocery store at 805 Larkin Avenue. Today, Rehage's Larkin Avenue grocery location is a residential property.
Joseph and his wife, Amanda E. Meier, who worked in the dial room at the Elgin Watch Factory, were married in 1903 and lived in 252 N. Liberty together until 1910 when they sold the home to William Gellermann. After living in 252 N. Liberty for 49 years, Gellermann sold the home in 1959 to the John and Goldie Karsch.
252 N. Liberty is not an example of a particular architectural style; retaining characteristics of multiple styles including some Folk Victorian elements seen here with some modest spindlework porch detailing as well as decorative spindlework sometimes referred to as gingerbread trim.
Sources: 2009 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud