242 S. LIBERTY STREET
Bernard Healy's Subdivision was a 6+ acre piece of land running north from the southwest corner of Villa and S. Liberty Streets. It was bounded on the west by Healy Avenue and intersected by Healy Street, which came to be known as Barrett Street. Formerly, the 6+ acre piece was part of lot 1 of James H. and Fulton Gifford's Addition to Elgin. Healy's Subdivision was platted and then approved by the Elgin City Council in 1876.
Bernard Healy was Elgin's first harness maker and had helped James T. Gifford lay out the town of Elgin "and two streets had been named by him in honor of his favorite authors --William Channing and Joseph Addison" (Elgin Daily Courier News, 1941). Mr. Healy's house was at 158 Du Page Street. The house was razed in the late 1930s to make way for the Block and Kuhl Department store. Bernard Healy died in 1894. Lots 4-13 of the Subdivision came under the ownership of Healy's son, Walter, in 1898. One year later, Walter warranted the, "south 1 rod of lot 8 and the north 3 rods of lot 7" to George W. Egger.
George Egger was a foreman of the printing department at the Elgin National Watch Company until his retirement in 1929. He kept 242 S. Liberty until 1926 when it was sold to Elwood Daly. George moved to 720 Villa Street. The house stayed in the Daly family possession for the next 60 years. Elwood Daly worked for Standard Oil of Indiana for many years.
242 S. Liberty is in the Queen Anne style, noted by the front gable with a cross gable in back, the single paned front window with a stained glass section at its top and several shingle shapes in the roof peaks. The roof form is a Greek Revival element as are the narrow, rectangular windows under the eaves on the second floor. The front of the house is graced with an oval, leaded glass window next to the front door. Additions have been made to the house.
Sources: 2003 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud