240 STANDISH STREET
Built in 1891-92 as the House of Hope Presbyterian Church, 240 Standish Street was designed by notable Elgin architect, W. W. Abell and built by Joseph Pavey and John Fluck. Local philanthropist, George P. Lord, donated the land at 240 Standish to the church and William Frasier donated a substantial sum of money that funded the building of the church at that location. Their names are included on the most prominent stained glass window in the sanctuary. The congregation voted to change their name in 1960 to the First Presbyterian Church.
240 Standish Street displays characteristics of the Richardsonian Romanesque style which was popular for a short period of time between 1880 and 1900. The church displays a hipped roof with cross gables, cream-colored brick masonry walls with limestone accents, punched openings topped with arches, and a distinctive tower with a recessed entry that is asymmetrically placed on the façade. The church building was expanded in 1953 and 1961. The building is considered a contributing property to the area.
Sources: North West Neighbors Association; Audio: TextAloud