24 N. PORTER STREET
24 N. Porter Street was built by Martin Bullard in 1890 for William Henry and Esther C. (nee Russell) Hoar. William was an alderman in 1891-93 as well as a bookkeeper for the First National Bank. He was born in New York on December 5, 1850 as was Esther though she was born in 1856. William and Esther married in Kane County in 1882. William passed away on November 7, 1904. After William's passing, Esther remained in the home until her death in 1929.
24 N. Porter Street is an example of a late Queen Anne/East Lake style home. Some architectural details found on the home include the oriel bay found at the front gable, the shaped molding over the front window, stained glass transom, a spindled frieze at the side porch and 16/1 lite double-hung windows. The Queen Anne influences include the steep roof and lower cross gables.
Sources: 1987 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud