223-225 MCCLURE AVENUE
In 1847, Finla McClure bought 108 acres in what was then considered "West Elgin." He set about establishing a farm along the Galena Road (what is now Highland) that extended north almost to Wing Street. Roughly 40 years later, Charles and Dorothy Wolff built a new home at 223 McClure Avenue for $3300, as reported by the Elgin Daily Courier. The house was built in a newly established area of the time, a place where many of Elgin's elite business leaders went to build mansions.
Wolff became one of the directors of the First National Bank in 1875. By the time of his passing in 1932, he had risen to the role of vice president. He was also very active in Elgin, serving a 16 year term on the Kane County Board of Supervisors and was a lifelong member in St. John's Lutheran church. An avid gardener in retirement, when the newspaper in Elgin reported his passing in their obituary, they noted that his gardens were considered some of the most beautiful in the city. After his passing his wife Dorothy continued living in the home until her own death in 1936.
After the Wolff's passed away, Daniel and Minnie Wallace purchased the home at 223-225 McClure in 1937. After living there for the next 26 years, Minnie sold the home to a rental company after Daniel passed away in 1963.
223-225 McClure is an excellent example of the Queen Anne style. This house is considered of the spindlework sub-type for the Queen Anne style which is most notable in the detailing on the elaborate front porch. Characteristics seen on 223-225 McClure satisfying this style also include the gable and window surround ornamentation, the bay windows, porch frieze ornamentation and the steeply pitched, cross gabled roof.
Sources: 2004 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud