220 VINCENT PLACE
220 Vincent Place was built in 1896 for Louis and Etta Sherwood. Louis was a retired farmer in the Elgin area. The Sherwoods moved in 1909 to 1021 W. Highland Avenue and used the home as rental income until it was bought by Roy Miller in 1914. Roy's mother, Lillian Shore lived in the house for many years until Roy sold the property in 1942 to Raymond Peters. Raymond was an Elder in the Church of the Brethren on W. Highland Avenue.
220 Vincent Place is a nicely kept, Queen Anne style home in the free classic subtype. The most significant characteristic of the style seen on the house is the front facing roof gable. Along with it, there is a hipped roof section and a cross gabled roof section. The use of elements to avoid a plain surface are seen on all four facades. Window surrounds used on all four facades are simple. Vertical and horizontal banding where the first and second floors meet are highlighted with white paint.
The front facade is the most detailed with the second floor front gabled section projecting out over a three-sided bay window in the first floor. The steeply pitched roof peak with wide eaves contain a small square window and patterned shingles in contrast to the narrow horizontal clapboard used on the first floor. Windows on the front facade are in varying sizes. The most prominent of them is a the large, single paned first floor window with a stained glass panel above it.
Sources: 2005 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud