220 S. STATE STREET
220 S. State Street was built in 1915-16 for Dr. Ora Pelton Jr., whose parents' home was next door at 214 S. State Street. Ora Jr. was born in 1887 to Ora Sr. and Anna Louise Frary Pelton. He had two other siblings, Lura Adelle and Helen Louise. Ora Jr. followed in his father’s footsteps and became a practicing physician in the area. He married Julia Bucklin and they had one son, Ora L., III. Ora Jr. passed away in 1929 at only 42 years old. Julia lived in the until 1944 when the home was donated to the Brethren Church who used it as a Fellowship House from 1944 through 1966.
220 S. State Street was designed by notable Elgin architect, George E. Morris and is an excellent example of a side gable, Colonial Revival and is considered a significant property to this area. Some of its most significant features on this home include the brick exterior with the brick quoining at the corners, the multi-paned windows with limestone keystones above them, the classical details at the front entry including the portico with round, tapered columns and Doric capitals, the front facing dormers with arched windows and ornate upper sash, the Palladian window found at the central dormer, and the detailed dentils that align the cornice.
Sources: Find a Grave; Audio: TextAloud