212 LOVELL STREET
In the 1887-88 edition of the Elgin City Directory, E. M. Payne is listed at 131 Lovell but by the 1889-90 edition, he is listed at 212 Lovell. Payne worked as a pressman for David C. Cook’s publishing house. The publishing company executive lends his name for the D. C. Cook Historic District just north of Elgin’s downtown.
212 Lovell is one of the many homes built along the railway corridor that sprung up in response to the newly built Chicago and Northwestern railroad track in the area near Lovell, Douglas, Prospect and to River Bluff.
In 1898, Payne sold the property to August Anderson, who also bought lots 14 and 15 to the east and were undeveloped at their time of sale. In 1899, Anderson secured a permit to build a barn on the property. A little over 10 years later, Anderson sold the house and barn to George Emery. Emery occupied the home for a relatively short period of time. When John Hauer bought 212 Lovell in 1913, he built a garage on the property in 1924. After his wife passed, he moved to California in 1926, leaving the house for Welsey and Hulda, John’s son and daughter-in-law. By 1937, the two had purchased and owned the home until 1977 when Hulda sold it after Welsey’s passing. Thus, this marked the end of a 64 year run of same-family ownership for 212 Lovell.
212 Lovell Street is a nice example of the Gable-Ell style, with its full two-story structure with a front facing gable with a side-gable intersection. Also typical of the style is the shed-roofed porch within the L made by the two wings, here we see this represented by the enclosed porch. While modest, 212 does exhibit some architectural details in the small oval window on the side of the home and the bay window on the first floor. It is considered contributing to the historic nature of its neighborhood in the Historic Resources In the Northeast Neighborhood: A Summary and Inventory.
Sources: 2000 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud