TYRELL BLOCK BUILDING
209-211 E. Chicago Street was built in 1887 for Dr. Pierce Tyrell for his medical practice. Dr. Pierce Tyrell was a local physician and surgeon from County Tipperary, Ireland. He practiced medicine in Elgin from 1868 until 1914. Throughout its history, the two-part commercial block building was associated as a dance hall and meeting place for Elgin's social and fraternal organization including the Masons, Elgin City Club, the Fraternal Order of Eagles and the Order of Owls.
The Tyrell Block, located at 209-211 E. Chicago Street, is an impressive brick and stone commercial block building. Local architect, Smith Hoag, designed the building with elaborate Queen Anne style metal cornice and frieze with a central gable, bays topped with segmental brick arches, and a polychromatic and corbelled central arch.
Sources: 2015 Elgin Downtown Commercial District National Register Nomination; Audio: TextAloud