2 S. JACKSON STREET
2 S. Jackson Street was original built for Lewis S. and Jane Fay Eaton around 1852, though early pioneers would not recognize the house that stands today. Lewis was a carpenter who arrived in Elgin around 1839. Lewis and Jane had one daughter, Marion Francis Eaton who was born in 1859. In 1887, Marion went on to marry Charles Henry Woodruff who was the owner of the Woodruff Foundry. Charles was also the sister of Ida Louise Woodruff who married William Eugene Bosworth who was the brother of Alfred, who owned 705 W. Highland Avenue, now an Elgin Landmark.
When Lewis passed away in 1889, the home was given to his wife until her death in 1891. Marion and her husband, Charles, took ownership of the home at that time. Charles passed away in 1911 leaving Marion as sole occupant until she sold it in 1929.
2 S. Jackson Street has been rebuilt twice to reflect changing architectural fashions. The original house was built by Lewis Eaton, a successful business man, around 1852. In the 1880’s it was rebuilt in the Queen Anne style and in 1929 was redesigned in the Tudor style. Characteristics of the Tudor Style can be found on 2 S. Jackson Street include its steeply pitched, front facing gabled roof with wing, multi-pane glazing, massive chimney and its arched front entry. This is one of the most common sub-types of this style making up about 40% of Tudor houses. The associated detailing are simple compared to its adjacent Shingle Style home at 4 N. Jackson Street but no less extravagant.
Sources: Gifford Park Association; Steve Stroud - There Used to Be; Audio: TextAloud