18 N. WORTH AVENUE
18 N. Worth Avenue was built in 1922 by Frank S. Mason, a local contractor who built several houses in the City of Elgin. The first owners of the house were James and Mary Douglas. James worked as the manager of the filing department at the Home National Bank until it went bankrupt during the depression. He then went to work at the Illinois Watch Case Factory on Dundee Avenue. He remained in this house until 1946, seven years after his wife's death. In 1946, he sold the house to Walter Dueringer, a notable, local photographer, who had lived at 503 N. Spring Street for nearly 20 years. Walter transferred the ownership to his daughter Nan Jean Ruth and her husband.
18 N. Worth Avenue is a typical Craftsman Bungalow with its central dormer, wide overhanging eaves, hip roof and full front porch. It has been well maintained and is painted in traditional bungalow earth-tone colors.
Sources: 2013 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud