18 N. CHAPEL STREET
18 N. Chapel Street was built by and for Andrew Magnus in 1883. Andrew was one of the leading brick masons in Elgin and has built several homes on Douglas Avenue including 465 Douglas. In addition to being vice president of the Elgin Brick and Tile Company as well as the South Elgin Stone Company, Andrew was also the president of the Elgin Ice Company. He lived at this home with his wife Caroline and their children Andrew, Anna, Marie, Ethel and Harold. With his sons Andrew and Harold, he opened the ice, wood and coal yard and then later a stone quarry. When Andrew passed away in 1916, their son, Andrew V., took over the house and the business.
18 N. Chapel was the last house Andrew Magnus built for his own use. The structure has Italianate proportions, rusticated native stone foundation, intricate brick work patterns stepped in different planes, and stepped brick beneath a prominent gable.
Sources: Gifford Park Association; Audio: TextAloud