162 S. STATE STREET
162 S. State Street is located along the corridor that was once known as the “Millionaire’s Row.” It was built by local builder Joseph Pavey in 1882 for John and Janet McNeil. John was a local businessman who was born in Scotland and immigrated to the Chicagoland area. He made his fortune through his wholesale grocery business that was located in Chicago. He commuted for over 35 years taking the Milwaukee Railroad into the Chicago that soon enough, the conductor would slow down the train near National Street so McNeil had a shorter commuter than being dropped off at the Chicago Street station.
McNeil’s family occupied the home until selling it to Dr. George A. Weirick in 1930. Weirick operated the home as a sanitarium that was touted to use the “latest methods of treatment, as well as electric shock.”
162 S. State Street is considered a significant structure to this area. It was originally built in the Italianate style, however, a third-story was added in 1893 for $5,000, altering the appearance to display Queen Anne style, Free Classic Sub-type characteristics. The most prominent of these characteristics includes the S-shaped curve of the tower roof and its prominent first-story porch with raised fluted columns with Ionic capitals and dentils wrapping the perimeter of the porch soffit.
Sources: Steve Stroud: There Used to Be; Audio: TextAloud