160 HILL AVENUE
In 1921, William Elfring purchased a lot in the first block of J. R. Lane’s Addition at the corner of Park and Hill. A recent widower, William and his daughter, Rose, are first listed at the 160 Hill Avenue home in the 1923-24 edition of the Elgin City Directory. William Elfring was a German immigrant who moved to Elgin in 1893. He worked as a shoe dealer in downtown Elgin and passed away at the age of 90.
The Elfring family kept the residence until 1955 when George, heir of William, sold the home to Clyde Sportsman, a mail carrier.
160 Hill Avenue is a fine example of the Colonial Revival style with some Prairie influences. The home is within the Elgin Historic District and is listed as a contributing structure to the district’s National Register nomination. Features indicative of the Colonial Revival style include the prominent pediment over the porch, symmetrically balanced one-over-one double-hung sash windows, the side gabled roof and the masonry exterior. The prominent partial width porch with large support columns and the overall horizontality bolstered by the overhanging eaves provide touches of the Prairie style.
Sources: 2000 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud