16 RUGBY PLACE
16 Rugby Place was built in 1905 for Charles W. and Alice Mabel Glover. Charles was a native of Jeffersonville, Indiana, being born in 1864. When he was of age he settled in Louisville, Kentucky to work for the Louisville Coffin Company where he met his wife, Alice Mabel (Drummond). She was born in 1867. Charles then worked with W. H. Hutchinson & Company of Rocester, New York.
Shortly after Charles and Mabel married, they settled in Elgin in 1895. Charles was hired as the secretary-treasurer for the Elgin Silver Plate Company, later known as the Elgin Metal Casket Company. After his time there, he began a manufacturing business with his brother-in-law, Edmond May Drummond, known as the Western Casket Hardware Company located at 66-68 River Street in Elgin. Charles did not live at 16 Rugby Place long as he passed away in 1912. He left his wife, two daughters and one son. Alice Mabel and her children continued to live in the home until 1920.
16 Rugby Place was designed by David Postle of Turnbull & Postle in the Colonial Revival style which reached its peak of popularity around 1900-1910. The style incorporates several characteristics such as its overhanging gable roof and bilateral symmetry. Note the classical detailing of the pediments over the windows and dormers, Doric pilasters on the ends, Corinthian porch columns, and the Palladian windows in the third floor dormers.
Sources: 1989 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud