152 ELM STREET
152 Elm Street was built in 1887 for Swedish natives, Alfred and Matilda Ekholm. The Ekholms immigrated to Elgin in 1882 and had this home built shortly thereafter, next to Alfred’s brother’s home. Alfred and his brother, Edward, were tailors in Elgin. Edward had his own business in the trade whereas Alfred worked for the Lethin firm. Matilda passed away in 1913 leaving the home to Alfred. He quickly sold the home to Otto George Wahstrom who converted the home to a two-flat.
152 Elm Street has very little alterations since it was built in 1887 and is considered a contributing property in the Near West Neighborhood Historic Resources Survey. 152 Elm Street was built in the American Foursquare typology and reflects simplistic details throughout in the Colonial Revival Style. The home exhibits a full-width front porch with tapered columns topped with Doric capitals and a front entry with sidelights and transom. It has a hipped roof with wide, enclosed eaves and dormers found at three roof planes. The home also has original, single, and paired set windows with simple window surrounds and dentils under the window hoods.
Sources: There Used to Be by Steve Stroud; Audio: TextAloud