144 HILL AVENUE
In June of 1906, James and Annie Burnett sold their home to Herbert Covey for $950. Covey himself built his home at 144 Hill Avenue as well as the surrounding three properties. A carpenter and contractor by trade, Covey’s 144 Hill Avenue home was completed at a total cost of $2600.
The Coveys owned 144 Hill from the time it was built in 1906 until 1920, but they did not live in the home for more than a year, as renters began to occupy the home starting in 1907. A number of renters moved in and out of the home until the Coveys sold 144 Hill in 1920 to Gus and Marie Krueger. The Kruegers quickly turned around and sold the home to Benjamin and Nellie Voight.
Benjamin was a mail carrier by trade, and the Voight family lived at 144 Hill Avenue for the next 8 years, until 1928. In 1928, the Voights sold to William and Florence Landwehr who lived there for the next 12 years. Three more families purchased home between 1940 and 1968.
144 Hill Avenue is an example of the Foursquare typology with Shingle and Colonial Revival style elements. Shingle features include the narrow exposure clapboard siding going around corners with no breaks. The dentil molding features and classic columns are a nod to the Colonial Revival style.
Foursquare, as the name of the form indicates, is comprised of a square floor plan, sitting at 2.5 stories tall, with a hipped roof and a hipped front dormer. The double hung 1-over-1 wood windows and full-width front porch are also common features of the form and associated styles.
Sources: 1993 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud