1199 HILL AVENUE
Franklin D. Roosevelt halted much of America's construction during WWII so building materials could be used for the war effort. After the war ended in 1945, many American's sought to participate in the country's new prosperity. One of them was Coleman Miller, an Austrian born immigrant who came to Elgin from Pennsylvania in 1909. He was a builder in Elgin and designed and built his own home at 1199 Hill Avenue in 1946.
Miller and his wife, Esther, lived together in this home until his death in 1961. Esther continued her residence until she sold the property in 1964 to Charles Hines. Hines owned the Chuck Hines Clothing store in downtown Elgin. In 1979, Hines warranted the house to his wife Patricia, who died the following year.
1199 Hill Avenue is listed in the Historic Resources in the Northeast Neighborhood: A Summary and Inventory as a Tudor Revival Cottage, with many elements concurrent with the Minimal Traditional style. Characteristics of the Minimal Traditional style can be seen in the small one-and-a-half-story section, medium pitched side-gabled roof, the second floor dormers, a large chimney, some double-hung windows, and the little to no overhang in the eaves. Tudor detail cane be seen in elements like the brick exterior and the chimney but are comparatively minimal.
Sources: 2006 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud