1183 HILL AVENUE
1183 Hill Avenue was built by Frank Burton in 1940 for its first owner, First National Bank. After the stock market crashed in October of 1929, the man who owned the land where 1183 now stands sold his property to J. Amis of Elgin. Amis hung on as long as he could, until selling the land to First National Bank in July of 1940.
First National then hired Frank Burton, an Elgin contractor and carpenter, to erect a home on the property. In 1942, First National sold the home to Earl Cornish, owner of Cornish Flowers on Bluff City Boulevard. From 1942 on, Cornish rented the property out until finding more permanent owners in 1980.
1183 Hill Avenue has several elements of the Minimal Traditional style, popular in America from about 1935 until 1950. Minimal Traditional houses tend to be small, one story homes with varying wall cladding, incorporating low pitched roofs which are often gabled, and double-hung windows. The dormers on 1183 Hill exhibit a relatively rarity in the style, but this variation is seen in other Minimal Traditional houses.
Sources: 2006 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud