114 CRIGHTON AVENUE
In the annual report on new house construction in the December 1892 issue of the Elgin Daily Courier, it notes that a "D. A. McBride built for M. Adams a pretty residence on Crighton Ave [for] $2,500." David was a jack of all trades, and before building 114 Crighton -- as well as three other homes on the Crighton block -- he had constructed a small steamboat with his father that went up and down the Fox River in between Dundee and South Elgin.
McBride built the home for Merton J. Adams. Adams was a retired farmer who had lived in Elgin for almost his entire life. His daughter, Maud, was a teacher at Washington School, two block away at Crighton Avenue and W. Chicago Street. By 1903, he sold his home to Joseph Burita, who again sold 114 in 1919 to the Strandt family.
John Strandt was an engineer at the Rineheimer Brothers Manufacturing Company until his passing in 1939. He was preceded in death by his wife, Lena, in 1934. After passing the home to their daughter, Martha Bolger, the house subsequently changed hands a number of times, at one point being owned by the Board of the Church of the Brethren.
114 Crighton is an example of the Queen Anne. Advances in industrialization made it easier to construct homes made with a variety of materials in a variety of ornamental features. This particular home has a number of the features common to the Queen Anne style including a front facing gable extending into a hipped roof, asymmetry and fish scale shingle banding separating the first and second floor. Some Italianate elements are seen under the facade's bay window, and the newel and chamfered front porch posts.
Sources: 2003 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud