110 S. CHANNING STREET
110 S. Channing Street was built in 1891 for Fred B. and Rosalie E. Allen for $3,200. Allen was a former alderman who worked as a real estate and insurance broker. A similar house was built the same year for his brother, Flavius, at 158 S. Channing Street. Fred was born in New York in 1852 and immigrated to Elgin shortly after he married Rosalie. Fred and Rosalie remained in Elgin until Fred passed away in 1925.
110 S. Channing is considered a significant structure in the Elgin Historic District. The brick-clad, two-story home is in the Italianate style. It includes tall, narrow arched windows, brackets under the gables, brick soldier course arch and rowlock surrounding the arched front picture window. The home also has a pair of ornate porches, including an unusual octagonal side porch, both restored by Habitat for Humanity in 2013.
Sources: 2009 Heritage Plaque Application; Gifford Park Association; Audio: TextAloud