105 CRIGHTON AVENUE
In December of 1889, the Elgin Daily Courier published its annual report on all the construction that went on in the city during the past year. It notes that David McBride built the house for $1,800 for Charles Lobdell. The Elgin City Directory for 1890-91 lists Charles as the resident, and when the city changed its address numbering system for the third and final time in 1894, the property officially became 105 Crighton.
Charles Lobdell came to Elgin from Iowa. After moving here, he first worked in the Watch Factory, and then moved on to the Elgin Milkine Company (later sold to Borden Condensed Milk Company). His first wife, Lula, was the sister of Clara Seapy, who lived next door at 102 Crighton until 1904. Lula passed away in 1897 at 33, leaving her husband and three children behind. Charles remarried in 1898 to Kate Garrett of Cresco, Iowa. In 1910, Charles and Lula's son, Harold, died at the Elgin State Hospital. In 1939, Charles was hit again with loss, this time his second wife.
In 1902, Lobdell sold the property to Clara and William Barry. When Clara died in 1926, 105 Crighton went to William and his son, John. In 1939, John sold the property to Herbert Dieterich, an insurance agent who lived on DuBois Avenue. Dieterich used the house as a rental until 1948, then selling it to Lester Kerlin, who lived there for the next 25 years.
105 Crighton Avenue is a Gable-Wing style with some Queen Anne elements. Gable-Wing's are much like what they sound, a front gable on the facade with a winged portion protruding from a side elevation. This style was common throughout the U.S. in the late 1800s for those who wanted to buy into the decoration of the Victorian style homes like Queen Annes and Italianates but at less of a cost. Some of the touches of these styles seen on the facade include the fish scale shingles above the first floor window on the facade and the brackets below the same window.
Sources: 2003 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud