1034 HILL AVENUE
Records indicated that Charles F. Hintt and his wife Emma purchased the lot of land 1034 Hill Avenue was later built upon in the early 1910s for $375.00 from Richard N. Botsford, David B. Sherwood, Charles H. Wayne and Alfred Lavoie. It first appears as a built home in the 1925 Elgin City Directory, and Charles and Emma then owned the house until 1940.
Various issues of the Elgin City Directory over the years show Charles Hintt as a staple in the Elgin food and beverage industry. In 1900, Charles was listed as an “Iceman,” in 1903 he was employed by the Elgin Ice Company, from 1907 until 1917 he was listed with various positions at the Pabst Headquarters (then 25-27 River, now 27 N. Grove) and then is listed as working at a place called Soft Drinks & Cigars for the next number of years in Dundee.
While the Hintt’s lived in the home for a number of years, they also moved and rented it out to a number of families before finally selling 1034 in 1940. From 1911 to 1926, Christ Hintt and his wife Sophia rented the home, in which the next year it was then was rented by John F. Genz, an employee by the Aurora, Elgin and Joliet Railroad. Next, from 1928 to 1930, Illinois Watch Case company employee Henry C. Lickert and his wife Evelyn were 1034’s renters. From 1933 to 1940, James A. Crawford and his wife Ellen rented out the home, the last renters of the Hintt era.
In 1940, Alfred and Rose Meyer purchased the home at 1034 Hill, living in the home together until 1977, when Alfred passed away. Rose lived in the home two more years until selling in 1979.
1034 Hill Avenue is a fine example of a typical bungalow home. It is one and one-half stories tall with a hipped roof, enclosed full front porch and a detached garage. Windows are 1-over-1 double hung. Significant features include the hipped dormer on the façade, the brick chimney and the south side bay window.
Sources: 1997 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud