1023 BELLEVUE AVENUE
In 1927, records indicate a man named Herbert Secombe, a builder in Elgin, is shown as indebted to McBride Lumber Company. The likely reason for such a transaction is that the lumber Herbert used to build 1023 came from McBride. The Elgin City Directory has no listing for 1023 Bellevue in the 1925-26 edition but shows Paul Heimann as owner in 1927.
Heimann, along with relatives Tom and William, worked at the Selz-Schwab Shoe Factory, located in the building of the old Ludlow Shoe Factory. Immediately following the stock market crash of October 1929, Selz-Schwab closed its business. Paul's widow, Edith, married his brother John in 1963. She again widowed, but continued living in 1023 Bellevue until her passing in 1986, concluding the 60-plus years of ownership of 1023 by the Heimann family.
1023 Bellevue is an excellent example of a Bungalow. According to the Northeast Neighborhood: A Summary and Inventory lists 1023 Bellevue as contributing the historic significance of the neighborhood. Bungalows were especially popular in the early 1900s, allowing many working class families to be able to buy a new home. Features typical of the style seen here include the wide overhanging eaves, hipped roof with a hipped dormer and 3-over-1 windows.
Sources: 2003 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud