1011 N. SPRING STREET
In September of 1908, an article in the Elgin Advocate noted that Irma Willson Dorman erected a two-story home on Spring Street. Irma was the daughter of David W. Willson, who was a player in the local dairy industry. When Irma married James Dorman in October 1907, her connection to the dairy industry furthered, as both James and their sons eventually became involved in the diary market, as well.
In 1945, 1011 N. Spring was sold to Hubert Yelton, who managed Inland Supply Company, a wholesale plumbing and heating company. Yelton was an active member in Elgin civic society, including the Boy Scouts, YMCA, YWCA, Salvation Army, Rotary Club, Board of Directors of Home Federal Savings and Loan Association, and the United Community Fund. He even won Elgin Cosmopolitan Club’s Distinguished Citizen award in 1971.
In 1959, Yelton sold the home to Ben Corn. The Corn family stayed in the home for the next 27 years, until 1986.
This side-gabled, rectangular, two-story house is a nice example of the Colonial Revival style. The front façade exhibits the symmetry typical of this style, and with 2 windows on the first floor, 3 on the second floor and 2 on the third floor dormers. Colonial detailing is most noticeable in the pediment above the door and the sidelights.
In the nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places for the Spring Douglas Historic District, 1011 N. Spring Street is listed as contributing to the history of the area.
In recent years, some changes have been made, including adding a portico styled front entrance-way.
Sources: 2001 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud