1010 LAWRENCE AVENUE
In November of 1929, Otto Holtz, a masonry contractor, purchased a piece of land on the northeast corner of Wing Park Boulevard and Lawrence Avenue. The deed of purchase contained restrictions allowing only for residential builds in the area. 1010 Lawrence Avenue appears in the Elgin City Directory for the first time in the 1933-34 edition, but in 1931, Holtz took out a mortgage for $5,000, the minimum allotted by the aforementioned deed restrictions to build the property. In the first years of ownership, both Holtz and a Jock Berg are listed as occupants, with Holtz in the rear portion of the property. Berg was a foreman for the Western Casket Company in Chicago. The next directory again shows Holtz in the rear of the property but a different name as the second occupant. It may be that Holtz used the front to rent out, and the rear for his masonry business.
By 1941, Holtz had sold his property to Rena Mosher, widow of Charles Mosher, a long-time employee of the Elgin Watch Factory who had put in more than 40 years on the job. Later in 1953, Edgar Maltby and his wife Ruth bought 1010 Lawrence and stayed there for the next 30 years. Maltby worked for W. H. Jencks, a fuel oil company, eventually becoming president. His wife, Ruth Maltby, was the secretary for the First Congregational Church.
1010 Lawrence Avenue is an excellent example of the Tudor style. Popular in America in the early 20th century, they mimicked the masonry seen on their English architectural cousins. Some features characteristic of the style seen here in 1010 Lawrence include the steeply pitched roof; steeply pitched gables; windows in multiple groups with multiple panes; and massive chimneys. The brick exterior is also a common material for the Tudor style's exterior siding. Additionally, the decoration around the arch at the front door is a typical elemental feature for this style.
Sources: 2004 Heritage Plaque Application; Audio: TextAloud