10 N. ALFRED AVENUE
10 N. Alfred Avenue was built in 1925 by the original owner, John A. Werrbach at a cost listed at $6,500. John was born on August 14, 1874 in Hampshire and moved to Elgin in 1893 to attend Elgin Academy. After coming to Elgin, John worked as a carpenter until he joined the mill-work firm, John A. Wright, in 1900. Wright passed away in 1924 where Werrbach was chosen as vice president of the company. Werrbach's specialty included rebuilding store fronts and display space for stores around Elgin. John married Miss Caroline Hasse of Elgin on June 6, 1900 and had three sons including Elmer, Harvey and Paul. On February 25, 1929, John passed away from influenza and is buried in Bluff City cemetery. His wife, Caroline, remained in the home until she sold it in 1940 to Arthur and Ester Anderson who lived in the home for 36 years.
This home is considered a Craftsman Style Bungalow including the following characteristics: one-and-a-half stories, wide overhanging eaves, front and side facing dormers and decorative upper sash windows. Interestingly, although John Werrbach was a carpenter by trade, he built the home with a brick veneer.
Sources: 2015 Heritage Plaque Application