287 VINCENT PLACE
287 Vincent Place was built in 1910 for Emil and Minnie Althen. Emil was a manager and superintendent of the Eagle Brewing Company. Emil was born in Illinois in 1869 with his father from Germany and his mother from Pennsylvania. Minnie (nee Strandt) was born in Germany in 1873. Emil and Minnie married in 1893 and had a son, Emil Jr. and a daughter, Louise. They sold the home in 1916, moving in with their daughter Louise and her husband, Henry E. Pease.
Louis Eppenstein was the next owner who purchased the home for $8,300. Louis was the wholesale representative at the Elgin Watch Case Factory. In 1926, Louis deeded the property to his nephew, James Eppenstein who quickly sold the property to Lyman F. and Marilla (nee Dewey) Black in 1928. Lyman was born in 1887 and was the son of Willis L. and Etta (nee Roe) Black, the second owners of Elgin landmark, 770 W. Highland Avenue (McClure Mansion). Lyman and his sister, Mareta, grew up at 770 W. Highland with the home deeded to Mareta upon their father's death in 1916. Mareta married William McCredie, Jr. with the home staying in the family until 1980.
Lyman was the president of one of the local news paper companies. Lyman was the longest resident at this address and after his death in 1954, his widow, Marilla sold the property in 1970.
287 Vincent Place is a monumental Classical Revival style house and is considered a significant structure in the Illinois Urban Architectural and Historical Survey that was conducted in the area in 2005. The large, rectangular shaped, two-and-a-half story frame Classical Revival style house displays a symmetrical facade with a curved, segmental arched pediment above the front doorway, a two-story portico with Ionic Order columns.
The home also displays a side gabled roof with two front dormers with a central dormer portico with triangular pediment front gable. Other significant features include the wide frieze board with modillioned cornice, brick cladding with corner brick quoins, multi-light, round arch windows with wood keystones, open terraces with stone balustrades flanking the center portico, as well as historic 10/1 and 8/1 wood double-hung windows.
Sources: 1987 Heritage Plaque Application; Find a Grave; Audio: TextAloud